Sunday, September 07, 2003

Dear Lord, it does not take much for me to forget you. The world, my world, has so many ways of demanding my attention that I quickly allow myself to be turned away from you. You are present in this world, in my life, in all that happens. But your presence is quiet, gentle, and unspectacular. Silence, solitude, quiet prayer, a peaceful conversation, and reflective reading help me recognize that you are with me, that you call me, that you challenge me and, most of all, that you invite me into your house of peace and joy. Yet the loud voices of the world, the endless variety of "musts" and "oughts" and the illusion that everything has the quality of an emergency, all these things pull me away from the place where you dwell and make me live as if I and not you have to save the world.

It is so easy to empathize with Henri Nouwen's prayer here at Grove City. My week is filled with classes to attend, books to read, IV events to go to, meals to schedule with friends, and a plethora of other "musts" and "oughts" that consume my calendar. If I'm not careful, I know at any moment my stress level will brim over and come pouring out in one big gooey mess. Maybe that's why I am especially grateful of Sundays here. It gives me the chance to breathe and enjoy life for a few brief hours before the tumult of the upcoming week begins pounding on my door. I had forgotten how much I missed the sharing time I have with my school friends on the way to church. Usually someone will read a favorite scripture passage aloud to whoever happens to be crammed into my tiny car on that particular week. Julie’s favorite question to ask is, “what has God been teaching you this week?” Many Sundays I’ll end up watching an hour pass by before I reluctantly leave lunch and an exciting discussion on missions, service, or some other topic. It always seems far more important than my waiting homework. Sundays are a good reminder of where our priorities should lie: “so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever” (1 Peter 4:11b). It is so easy to let what is more important eternally, but less obvious to our immediate perception, become neglected in the rush of life. I think life would be much more pleasant if we had more “Sundays” in our week to sit back and reflect.

You, O Lord, will give me all the attention I need if I would simply stop talking and start listening to you. I know that in the silence of my heart you will speak to me and show me your love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home