Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Seeing stars...

"Since then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."
Colossians 3:1-4

One thing you can guarantee about Grove City's weather is that it will be windy. Because of this, and given my clumsy tendencies, you will typically find me moving around campus in the hands-in-my-pockets, head bent down to shelter my face from windburn, eyes on the sidewalk so I don't trip, quick-paced walking posture.

Tonight's weather was no different. But since I didn't have to take a load of cumbersome books and a forest's worth of handouts in my bag, I decided to add a scarf for extra protection against the wind as I walked to IV. Mind you, I was still wary against my tripping nature and the scarf my Nana made for me goes well below my knees, so that by the time I wrapped it up enough to ensure I wouldn't stumble, my neck was propped quite upright.

As I walked across the barren tundra of the quad (don't panic, I was on the sidewalk, not the grass!), I tried to resume my usual habit of sidewalk staring. To my surprise, I found that the bulk of the scarf was acting almost as a brace and kept me from moving my chin that low. Wondering how immobile I really was, I tried the opposite direction. And that's when I saw them. I was in the very center of the quad and somewhat distanced from the lights of the buildings and lamp posts. As I arched my neck upward, my eyes captured the glimmer of stars peeking out through the crisp air of newborn darkness. "Wow," I thought, "what an absolutely gorgeous night! And to think, if this scarf hadn't gotten in my way I never would have noticed them." No sooner had that thought ended in my mind when God decided to add His own thoughts:

Isn't it interesting how focused you get on looking at the ground? It's so easy to get caught up in the things directly in front of you: the imperfections (cracks) in the road, the things that might trip you up, or the direction you need to take. But when you open your eyes and trust My sense of balance, look at the blessings I can show you. I'm holding the stars up; trust that I will hold you up as well.

It was a good reminder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home