Monday, September 16, 2002

"You guys! They're sticking to the seat!" Dani complained. She got up and began to trudge from row to row, trying desperately to pop the playful spheres of liquid plastic that were conspicuously sticking to the red theater seats. I glanced over at Jamie and giggled. As soon as Dani’s back was turned, we began filling the air once more with clouds of bubbles. Cassie joined in with the traditional soapy bubbles, and soon the air was thick with bubbles and laughter.

It was late summer and the heat showed no signs of letting up. However, the summer break was quickly approaching its end, and my friends and I were all preparing to say good-bye once more. So one hot night in late August, Jamie, Dani, Cassie, and I all piled into Dani’s coconut scented car and drove off into the sunset. Actually, we only drove as far as the movie theater, but there was still something exciting about that night. The windows were down, our hair was blowing in the wind, and we had all enjoyed the creamy goodness of strawberry creamsicle coolatta. For those few hours we were free. There was no schoolwork to worry about, no parents to bother us, and no goodbyes to dwell on.

So it’s no surprise that Jamie pulled out the bubbles soon after discovering we were the only ones in the theater. To say that Jamie is obsessed about bubbles is certainly an understatement. I think that bubbles define Jamie as a person. So all four of us dug out our wands and began creating mischief. Soon the bubbles filled the air. “Do you think they’ll kick us out?” Dani asked. “They couldn’t kick us out for blowing bubbles, could they?” I replied. “It’d be pretty funny if they did!” I added. We stopped for a while, chatting away about random subjects. After a couple minutes…”umm, guys, I don’t think the bubbles are going away” Cassie pointed out. We knew that the bubbles Jamie and I had were “catch-a-bubble”, made of some form of liquid plastic. Well, when the back of the box says they don’t pop on their own, they meant it! Dani, acting as the responsible one for the night, tried to pop as many conspicuous bubbles as she could, but most of them were too obstinate to land. We got rid of most of the bubbles before anyone else came in the theater. However, periodically during the movie, a lone bubble would drift across our line of vision, and we would let out a repressed giggle.

Why am I sharing this silly story? I don’t really know. Cassie reminded me of it, and all of the sudden, I wanted to drop my Physics problems and go outside and blow bubbles. It seems like a pretty stupid thing for a 20 year old to be doing, I know. But there’s something almost therapeutic in forgetting everything and simply enjoying life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home