Tuesday, March 01, 2005

14 Miles Short

They say love will make you do crazy things, and I tend to agree. There aren't many other reasons I would drive 1200 miles in four days if I didn't have to.

This past weekend was our "spring break." After four years I still haven't figured out why Grove City College won't celebrate national holidays, but they give us a random four day weekend every semester. In any case, my senioritis is in full swing and Jay and I hadn't seen each other since the semester started six weeks ago. (A hint for you GCC couples who whine about being apart for four day breaks: don't come looking to me for sympathy). In any case, I skipped my one Wednesday class and spent the weekend in glorious New England.

The more time I spend at Fitchburg State College, the more I realize we really are in an alternate universe here at GCC. Wednesday night Jay and I went to the library so he could study for a big test he had the next day. Not only did we bring juice into the library, but we also talked...at a normal volume! It was strange not to be getting death glares for clearing my throat or pulling out a chair. While Jay was in class/work his friends were nice enough to play "adopt the girlfriend" and make sure they took me to lunch or let me know when they were hanging out. It was so nice to hang out in a dorm with other college students and not worry about going to classes or doing homework! Friday night we all had a little "bonding time" by reminiscing about the "good old days" of the 80s. We listened to cartoon and TV show theme songs off a website Betsy found on the internet. Despite the fact that he was still in school, Jay and I were able to spend a lot of time together and it was definitely a great, relaxing weekend!

On Saturday I decided to surprise my family (my parents didn't know I had come up). I called home as I pulled in the driveway. Although my mom was out running errands, Dad answered the phone. Of course he had to pause our conversation a minute later when "somebody was ringing the doorbell." It was great seeing his face when he realized it was me. Mom came home a little bit later to find my car sitting in the driveway. I love surprising people! We got to spend the day together and Mom and I even followed each other on the drive back south on Sunday since she was heading down to VA.

So all in all I had a wicked awesome weekend. I got to drink water from a bubblah and hear about the pahking restrictions at the T stop for Bahst'n, which apparently are wicked stupid.

And when I finally pulled into Sibera, my odometer said 99,986...

2 Comments:

At 3/01/2005 5:44 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I miss it so much. You are lucky to be going back there soon.

 
At 3/06/2005 11:32 AM, Blogger Erin said...

My car reached 100,000 miles about a mile away from church this morning. We were passing a cemetary. I hope that's not a bad sign for how much longer it'll last!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home