Tuesday, September 24, 2002

It's been a long afternoon. For once, I let my powers of procrastination slip, and am struggling to finish a major assignment which is due tomorrow. A gentle breeze was flowing through the room and Frank Sinatra's smooth vocals filled the air. But this was suddenly interrupted by a noisy voice. “I know, can you believe he made us take that quiz? Oh, and I was thinking about what Aunt Mary said, and I think I have some ideas for that party next weekend…” The voice faded slightly as my neighbor walked down the hallway. Phone conversations. I understand their importance. I know how much girls appreciate them. But must they be made in the hallway outside my door?! The same problem occurred last year. Because my room had no room opposite it, the wall outside my doorway was frequented by girls settling in for the long haul as they discussed personal and emotional issues with their mothers, boyfriends, and best friends. I admit, I find having to close my door just to hear my music or be able to think a little annoying (to say the least). But what puzzles me is why these girls chose the hallway of all places. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but if I’m going to have a personal conversation, I’d rather have it in my room where my roommate is the only one who knows and is also the only one who’s work is disturbed. But instead, most girls chose to bear their souls in a place that 20 other girls can hear, and usually in a volume that none of us can avoid hearing. The number of times I have heard or passed by a girl on the phone fighting with or going through a breakup on the phone in the hallway is staggering. Honestly, girls, if your roommate is asleep, go in the hall. But if she’s not, wouldn’t it be better to bear your soul to someone you obviously know and like rather than everyone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home